Archive item - not for sale
Italian Maiolica 'Equestrain' dish, Deruta, 2nd quarter 16th century, possibly from the Mancini workshop, with a sloping rim and a flanged edge, the footrim pierced with two holes for suspension, the front tin-glazed and painted in dark blue, green, yellow and orange, in the centre the figure of a Turkish horseman with a sword carrying a standard mounted on a horse galloping to the left with ribbons fluttering behind, border divided into distinctive sections of scale pattern and palmettes flanked by oval shapes, the reverse in clear lead glaze with tin-glaze patch extending from the rim, and three simple scrolls in dark green on the wall and border,
Diameter: 16 1/8in., 41cm; height: 3 1/4in., 8.4cm
Note: For a similar horseman on a Deruta polychrome dish in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge attributed to the Mancini workshop c1535-55, see J. Poole Italian Maiolica and incised slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, cat. 273, p.200 and colour plate 19, Cambridge, 1995. For a discussion about the dating of a Deruta dish with a similar border see, Timothy Wilson and Elisa Paola Sani, Le maioliche rinascimentali nelle collezioni della Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia, Perugia 2006, cat 17, p.56. SOLD
Provenance: Property of a Gentleman of Title In the collection of the family of the present owners since the late 19th / early 20th century. Entries in the family archives suggest that maiolica was acquired between 1894 and 1916 from three different sources: from G. Donaldson in 1894 (with two items bought from the Spitzer Collection) in 1896 and in 1897; from H.A. Peto in 1899 and from S.M. Crossley in 1908 and in November 1916.